Pewter Gibson's Spoon

Apoth - Pewter Gibson’s Spoon.png
Apoth - Pewter Gibson’s Spoon.png

Pewter Gibson's Spoon

4.99


In 1827 Charles Gibson introduced a celebrated spoon that incorporated a lid to prevent spillage and was frequently referred to as the castor oil spoon.  Made in silver, pewter, Britannia metal, and pottery it was provided with a hinged cover to the bowl which opened for filling and a orifice at the distal end for administering the medicine. There was a flange midway along the hollow tubular stem that served as a rest for the fingers while the thumb covered the proximal end. When the thumb was removed, air was admitted and the liquid escaped down the patients throat. Unpleasant medicines, such as castor oil, were better toleratedwith Gibson’s design and it was found helpful in feeding the insane and children as well as the invalid.

Add To Cart